Combining vegetables with traditional Indian dosa batter is great way to add nutrients and flavor, and create some beautiful colors. The recipes below uses beets, but we encourage you to try other vegetables, including spinach, kale, and tomatoes. These dosas are especially great for kids who don’t like to eat their vegetables!
Ingredients – Makes 4 Dosas
• 1 cup traditional dosa batter. Click here to view our recipe, or you can use pre-made, fresh batter available at most Indian grocery stores.
• 2 steamed beets
• 1/4 cup water, if necessary to thin batter
1. Combine beets and dosa batter in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Preheat the DosaMaker on setting #2. Lightly coat the top and bottom cooking plates with cooking oil.
3. Depending on the desired thickness of your dosa, gradually add 1 – 2 tbsp of water to the batter until you reach the desired batter consistency.
4. Pour 3 oz of batter in the center of the bottom plate, gently close, and cook for 2 minutes 30 seconds.
5. Open the lid and check. For a crispier dosa, cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
6. Remove using the plastic spatula and enjoy alone, or serve with your favorite filling, dip, or spread.