Rosemary Whole Wheat Dosa with Apple and Melted Cheddar
The combination of earthy rosemary, juicy apple, melted cheddar and sweet honey complement the flavors of the whole wheat dosa perfectly. The dosa becomes pleasantly crisp like a toasted tortilla and makes an excellent snack or one-stop appetizer.
Ingredients – Serves 4 as a snack or appetizer
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 1/4 cup water
• 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 – 1/3 cup water, added to batter right before making dosas
• 4oz aged white cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese), grated or shredded
• 1 apple, thinly sliced into wedges
• 1 tbsp honey
1. Whisk the flour, 1 1/4 cup water, rosemary, and salt in a bowl to form a smooth batter. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Batter will thicken while it stands.
2. Whisk in the additional 1/4 cup water, adding one more tablespoon at a time until batter has a thin consistency.
3. Preheat the DosaMaker on setting #1. Lightly coat the top and bottom cooking plates with cooking oil.
4. Pour 3 oz of batter in the center of the bottom plate, gently close, and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Open the lid, flip the dosa, and cook for 1 more minute.
6. Remove dosa using the plastic spatula and cool on a plate. While dosa is cooling, increase the DosaMaker temperature to setting #2 and prepare the filling ingredients.
7. Once the green light is flashing, return the dosa to the DosaMaker and do not close the lid. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the dosa in an even layer, then move the lid to the Elevated Cooking Position. Toast dosa for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the dosa is crisp.
8. Remove dosa using the plastic spatula and place on a cutting board. Place apple slices on dosa, drizzle with honey, and slice into wedges or fold in half and serve (like a quesadilla).