Whole Wheat Flatbread (Indian Roti)
A fresh, homemade flatbread that’s extremely versatile. In Indian cuisine, rotis are typically eaten with cooked vegetables or curries, but they’re are also great to use as a wrap or tortilla.
Ingredients – Makes 4 flatbreads
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1/3 cup milk
1. Melt butter in a heat safe cup in the microwave. Add the milk and stir.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and salt. Gradually stir in the milk and butter mixture. Add more flour by the tablespoon if the dough is too sticky.
3. Knead the mixture until a smooth dough forms, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour, cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 4 sections and use a rolling pin or glass to roll each section into a rough circle. Cover with a damp towel while you roll out each flatbread.
5. Preheat the DosaMaker on setting #3. Coat the top and bottom cooking plates with cooking oil.
6. Place one of the flatbreads in the center of the bottom cooking plate, place the lid in the Elevated Cooking Position, and cook for 90 seconds.
7. Open, flip the flatbread, place the lid in Elevated Cooking Position, and continue cooking for another 90 seconds.
8. If desired, brush with butter before serving.